How can you prolong the lithium-ion battery lifespan.
- A partial discharge reduces stress and prolongs battery life, so does a partial charge.
- Batteries charging to 85% have a longer lifespan than enabling full charge. Although longer lasting, a less than full cycle does not fully utilize a battery.
- 100% DoD is a full cycle; 10% is very brief. Cycling in mid-state-of-charge would have best longevity.
- Every 0.10V drop below 4.20V/cell doubles the cycle but holds less capacity.
- Every 75mV drop in charge voltage lowers the usable capacity by about 10%.
Referring to cycle, using a setup “window” (through BMS) between 3.10V – 4.10V/cell (including tolerance) is right way to prolong the battery pack life, of course, if you have this goal! For example, EVs use 85–25% SoC to prolong battery life.
Source: Instructions (CMIUTA Electric Company)